AccNoir-2011-04-20 (late show), Banjo Noir First Hour, with Linda Bull and Sue Malcolm
For the Spring Membership Drive at Co-op Radio we had a triple-length episode on April 21. The 2nd Hour started our Long-Awaited "Banjo Noir" show. Fun, Fun.
* Artist â Song â Album (year) â Where are they from? â Contact info if we've got it.
* Chubby Parker & His Old Time Banjo â King Kong Kitchie Kitchie Ki-Me-O â Anthology Of American Folk Music, Vol. 1A: Ballads (1928) â "The Harry Smith Anthology" â http://www.folkways.si.edu/explore_folkways/AnthologyFolk.aspx
* Yesterdays Ring â They Oughta Name A Drink After Me â Diamonds In The Ditch (2009) â Montreal, Quebec, Canada â http://www.suburbanhomerecords.com/bands/active/yesterdays-ring/
* Nathan Frazier (Banjo And Vocal) And Frank Patterson (Fiddle) â Bile Them Cabbage Down â Altamont: Black Stringband Music (1942) â Nashville, Tennessee, USA â http://archives.nodepression.com/2002/03/the-lost-tradition-of-black-string-bands/
* Murph Gribble (banjo), John Lusk (fiddle), Albert York (guitar) â Rolling River â Altamont: Black Stringband Music (1946) â Rocky Island, Tennessee â http://archives.nodepression.com/2002/03/the-lost-tradition-of-black-string-bands/
* John J. Kimmel / Vess L. Ossman â Sword dance / Whip and spur (split single) â Indestructible Record: 3088 (1910) â Part of the UCSB Cylinder Digitization Project: http://cylinders.library.ucsb.edu/.
* Banjo Joe â My Money Never Runs Out â Good For What Ails You: Music Of The Medicine Shows 1926â1937 (1927) â http://www.oldhatrecords.com/index.html
* The Haints â Baptist Shout â Horsefly, British Columbia, Canada â http://www.thehaints.com/
* Linda and Sue â Dragonfly (live and pickin')
* Highrise Lonesome â Big Black Eye â Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada â http://www.slowpitchjam.com/highriselonesome.html
* The Wailin' Jennys â Glory Bound â Live At The Mauch Chunk Opera House (2009) â Canada (2 of them), USA (1 of them) â Soprano Ruth Moody (guitar, banjo, acc, bodhran) http://www.thewailinjennys.com/
* Chris Cook â Camp Meeting on the 4th of July
* Raising Arizona Soundtrack â Way Out There â the Youtube album.
* Sue and Linda â Cluck Old Hen (live and not spitting, because it's rude)
* Ross Nickerson â Cluck Old Hen
* Milton Brown & His Musical Brownies â Oh You Pretty Woman (1934) â Doughboys Playboys & Cowboys: The Golden Years of Western Swing - The Eyes of Texas [Disc 1] (1934) â http://www.propermusic.com/
Sue Malcolm's many projects in progress:
Linda Bull's Give 'em the Boot, Italian Show on CiTR:
Tonight's episode's cover illustration is: Ol' face Krazy Kat playin' his banjo in 1936. From Dr. "What kinda banjo is that?" Hermes: http://dr-hermes.livejournal.com/338022.html